Each day a kind deed.

Thought of the Week - Each day a kind deed.
TWEET this!

Jun 25, 2015

Poetry in the dusty shelves


I visited the bookstore yet again. Every fortnight I do so. Gradually it is becoming tough. Her condition seems to worsen each time I visit. I scanned through the compartments with each category written in bold large font. I still did not find her name. There was no reservation for her. She was there just like a commoner. It seems the days of her celebration are now folklore. However, this time her condition was appalling. The pain of seeing her lying in the dust among unwanted others is inexplicable.

On the last shelf of an unknown corner of the bookstore, they have kept her. There are no boards announcing her presence. How could they? May be they never had the intention to care for her as she no longer generates revenue. Hence, the dearth of poetry shelves in the bookstore. She was silently lying like an orphan. I searched for my love and found one. I bought a selected collection of Gulzar saab and Kamala Das's "Closure". Ironically, the first poetry of the Gulzar saab's collection was about books. I smiled. It does ache to know that poetry embraces and sings in praise of the book. However, poetry books do not get the attention they deserve. 

When I asked one of the local bookstores, "Sir, why don't you have more poetry books here?". 

He replied, "Madam, who will buy? Children don't even read the poems in their academics." Then he asks me, "Are you a writer?" 
I replied, "I like writing poems." 
He said, "I suggest you start writing songs. Phrase your poems as songs for films or music albums. Only then, people will listen. Otherwise you have no chance." 
He rejected me upfront with a smile. I did not mind that insult. Rejection is my close friend. I have had many meetings with “Rejection” during my submissions for poetry publication.

I am still not sure whose fault it is that poetry is being treated this way. Is it the readers, the writers, the publishers or times have changed? There are new poets and new poems. Then, why has there been a decrease in published collections? Why is there no compartment in bookstores specifically for poetry? The are so many questions that loom over without any answers.  




Image Credits - Google Images
Article © Copyright Salvwi Prasad
Creative Commons Licence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments help me improve.

You may also like to read